Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Watch Me Rise.


“….watch me rise like smoke from fire.

Watch me fly above your hate.

Watch me dance upon your meanness
like a ballerina with posture; grace.

Watch me laugh over your hatred;
watch me soar above your sea of grief.

And know that I am out there somewhere…

C R U S H I N G.” ~ Coco J. Ginger
I read a most beautiful article the other day; one that highlighted the achievements of a woman, humbled, and rising up against all odds.

I've always been drawn to these such stories, as evidenced by the many dog eared pages, scattered notebook scrawlings...and messages upon mirrors. My 'white space' knows no limitations - and, my life has been forever imprinted by the essence of their most simple words.

I like these stories because they always serve to remind me, that no matter what, there is always a way.

I think we all need to be reminded of this, and particularly on days when life seems intent on sending us straight back to bed.

Hey, we all have those days...right? And, yesterday....just happened to be one for me.

My dears, there are moments in life when we may feel quite humbled the limitations of our own spiritual 'tenacity' - discouraged by our inability to find our way through.

I've often wondered, if humbling was just the Universe's way of getting us to wake up and listen.

I certainly listened yesterday - when the thoughts disappear, it makes way for often the most beautiful reflection. A little space to create our own page where spirit may rise above conditions.

And, isn't that our truest brilliance?

My dears, today, I am compelled to share with you the story of Bessie Coleman - the first African American female pilot, and first of her race to hold an international pilot license.

The year was 1918 - not soon after the first flight at Kitty Hawk, but long before equality had taken its rightful roots. It was the wild exploits of soldiers returning home from World War 1 that first captured Bessie's interests. As a dreamer, and despite her background, she was compelled by adventure - wishing desperately to join the ranks of these most honorable men. But sadly, and in spite of her own best efforts - no flight school in the United States was willing to accept her.

But, rather than conceding to society's view of her place in this world - she instead, gathered the courage to create a vision that was entirely her own. 

She raised money that she didn't have...

Learned a language she didn't know...

And, made her way to the only flight school in the world that would allow her that one simple chance.

It was there, in June 1921....where the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale awarded her an international pilot's license and this magnificent, beaming light of courage took the skies in a whole new way.

Sometimes, we have to break the rules...and other times, we have to redefine them. But rest assured, and no matter what, there is always a away.

And so, on those days when life's challenges may prove a bit more daunting - I find my strength in these stories long past, and remind myself always to "think of Bessie."

You know, things aren't ever so hard when we've found the gift of perspective...

My dears, today may we all celebrate the dreamers...the believers...and those many risk takers...

For, it is on their spirit that our wings shall rest.

p.s. and by the way...my dears, just you watch me rise.... 

Namaste, my most beautiful friends... and never let these stories spill for your hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment