Sunday, October 6, 2013

Through the Looking Glass.



“I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then” ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass 

I have been having a bit of a challenge with my health, as of late. Facing the bumps and bruises in these, our later years, can often prove a bit of a trial - even for those of us who are quite resilient of self.

Truth be told, the other night, and while standing amidst the reflections of a dozen or so most perfectly formed bodies - I felt for the first time, imperfect of spirit. As if, these pieces of me had broken away along this pathway of life and had been forever lost along the trail.

That's always one of the more interesting revelations, now isn't it? When we find ourselves mourning over these 'pieces' that have passed - and facing the uncertainty of the much longer road to follow.

Rather than counting through all the blessings we now have.... we spend hours gazing foolishly into the looking glass, instead.

And so, as I scrutinized this vision standing before me - my eyes following the deep shadows marking the path these many years have since worn... I felt so awkwardly detached from this, my former self.

Having a life altering illness isn't always so easy, you know... though, it does create moments ripe for thought-filled introspection.

And that's the beauty now, isn't it?

Sure my body isn't as it once was - and certainly the grey is becoming a little more difficult to conceal.

And, in the space where these tears once so easily fell? There's a beautiful smile in my eyes, instead.

Because, my dears, as the years fade away - the soul comes alive. And these pieces we mourn? In breaking away, they reveal the true beauty inside.

But, the mirror can only show the 'shell' of our being.

Much like the lotus flower breaking finally free of the mud, silted waters...the miracle rests far beneath the blossom.

And, my dears, that's the story the mirror can never tell.

Namaste, and much love on this day... and instead of seeking out flaws, look instead to the journey, and see the most beautiful part that is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment