Saturday, October 26, 2013

Daring to Be.


“We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be.”  ~ May Sarton
I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned, but my Father was a World War II combat veteran.

At just 18 years old, he volunteered to join his brothers to fight for those whose hearts could not be heard. Facing heavy fire each day, and under conditions so excruciatingly painful, he charged forward grasping only to the ideals of this....our one human family.

As a veteran, myself, I know only too well the horrors of war - as I watched those, once vibrant with life, coming back a broken spiritual shell of their once former self.

Reaching out into their emptiness, I was left often wondering - what is it that does the real breaking?

For so many of us, we enter life with a feeling of such fearlessness. But can one be truly fearless...crouched, crumbling, in the deepest corner of newly dug foxhole?

So often I watched in helplessness, wishing only to undo the devastation of battle. To right fully the wrongs of war, and to restore their brilliance of spirit.

But, it wasn't their spirit that needed fixing. As I found this out myself, so many years later - and stuck inside a relationship that was slowly poisoning me...causing me to question my very own being.

My whole heart was caving in, because I couldn't see past someone elses' expectations.

In the end, I was responsible for my own breaking.

It was then that I realized, perhaps...it's more of what we carry into these scenes that causes our hearts the greatest of burdens. Holding so sternly to this image of self, that we've left no space for the 'just simply being?'

My dears, life can not ever be planned - it just is.

And all that you are, and everything you might ever become - changes with each and every single reflection.

And when we dare to be, all that we most wish to be...we are able to become the one we most love.

Namaste, my most beautiful friends...and may I always leave you with a little something to consider.


Dare to Be

When a new day begins, dare to smile gratefully.

When there is darkness, dare to be the first to shine a light.

When there is injustice, dare to be the first to condemn it.

When something seems difficult, dare to do it anyway.

When life seems to beat you down, dare to fight back.

When there seems to be no hope, dare to find some.

When you’re feeling tired, dare to keep going.

When times are tough, dare to be tougher.

When love hurts you, dare to love again.

When someone is hurting, dare to help them heal.

When another is lost, dare to help them find the way.

When a friend falls, dare to be the first to extend a hand.

When you cross paths with another, dare to make them smile.

When you feel great, dare to help someone else feel great too.

When the day has ended, dare to feel as you’ve done your best.

Dare to be the best you can –

At all times, Dare to be!”

No comments:

Post a Comment