Monday, April 29, 2013

A Letter to all of the Comments Received re: A Letter to the Guy Holding up the “You Deserve Rape” Sign at a Student Rally in Arizona.

Prayer of Lovingkindness

May all beings be peaceful.
May all beings be happy.
May all beings be safe.
May all beings awaken to
the light of their true nature.
May all beings be free.
-- Metta Prayer

I wrote an article the other day, about a young man holding up a "You Deserve Rape" sign at a Sexual Assault Awareness Rally in Arizona.

I wrote this article, because...well, because sometimes there needs to be a little more said than just a few words on a sign.

But, mostly because I knew the actions of this person had the capacity to cause much more 'hurt' in this world.

And, because I believe that we need less of that, and much more of love

In reading through the comments this morning, I saw that there was much energy still yet unresolved. At first, I wasn't sure how best to handle - and struggled very much with finding just the right words to respond.

But, here is what I have to say:

I was thinking of something as I was driving in this morning. I was thinking about the human body, specifically, that our bodies - when it senses injury, hurt, or disease - will do everything within its capabilities, to dispatch the deepest sort of healing. This brilliant symphony of cells all working together towards one big, greater common goal - and, it will continue to do so until its last and final breath.

And yet, we, as humans - when we sense the same...we dispatch reaction instead of healing.

It's amazing how, after so many millions of years of evolution (if you believe in that sort of thing) - the collective whole of all of humanity is still being shown up by a single-cell brain.

Maybe, it's because our cells just know...and then...just *do*

Maybe, that's a good example humanity might follow?

Sometimes, the actions of others may create a flood of much bigger emotions - but as 'good humans' we must always try to be the calm within that storm.

Adding more anger to hate, only serves to empower it. It weakens compassion's light, and disintegrates the fabric of humanity's love.

I pray, instead, that we might all stay true to the essence of who and what we really are - as humans, I believe we are all intended to be a vessel for unconditional love.







No comments:

Post a Comment