Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Little Something About "Keeping" Time.



“Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. 

Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. 

Man alone measures time. 
Man alone chimes the hour. 
And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.” 

Mitch Albom, The Time Keeper

I was thinking about time this morning, and as I was watched the hurried pace of a neighbor's car quickly zipping away. 

Every morning, it's the same thing, you see...always in the same frantic, panicked rush to another time and place of being.

Leaving me, right here...sipping tea...and wondering what song this morning might bring.
In our rushing, bulls in china shops, we break our own lives.
I used to live in much the same way...marking minutes, not moments as I rushed through my day.

Oh, and how many did I let slip away? Too mindful the clock to allow them their place.

But then, something just changed...as I suddenly became aware of all this beauty that was surrounding me.

It was as if my senses had only just come alive...the newness was nearly overwhelming.

My dears, it was that day - that I tucked my watch back away...
Oh, and I know this must sound quite silly, of course...but, I simply haven't worn that watch since. 

You see, I don't need a watch to know when 'awakening' begins... 

Much love, my most beautiful friends...may this day mark moments that your heart has always wished. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment