Wednesday, November 6, 2013

When We Are Judged.


“We judge others instantly by their clothes, their cars, their appearance, their race, their education, their social status. The list is endless. What gets me is that most people decide who another person is before they have even spoken to them. What's even worse is that these same people decide who someone else is, and don't even know who they are themselves.” ― Ashly Lorenzana

Just the other day, I was on the receiving end of some harsh work-related criticism. I had made a simple mistake, one that would have been easily corrected, and..hadn't yet impacted anyone.

In other words, we caught the error just in time for most - but not quite soon enough for a certain someone else.

And...that someone else ranted on for nearly an hour - as he called to question every aspect of character, and each instance of my being.

All over a single keystroke error.

As I made my way back to my desk, I cried - but, not for the reasons this someone else might think.

I cried over the harshness of words, and in the space where kindness could have easily prevailed.

I cried over the intensity of judgement, and knowing the fear that most certainly served as catalyst.

But mostly, I cried for the emptiness...so clearly evidenced in this one human soul.

It's a tricky business dolling out harsh criticisms to a hippie Buddhist - as it never seems to impact the way it was intended.

And, sometimes reflection can prove the much better medicine - particularly, for those whose words may have otherwise offended.

So, my dears - today...I wanted to offer a most simple reminder, to let kindness prevail even when hope may seem lost.

Life Vest: The Kindness Boomerang

No comments:

Post a Comment