Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ethics: A Much Needed Education of Heart.


We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.” ― J.K. Rowling

When I was a little girl, they still taught 'ethics' in the school room. Even at the youngest age we were asked to consider this dilemma of man's inhumanity to man.

Sadly, and as the years passed, these conversations faded - making room for the many budget cuts, and competitive coursework necessary to secure more educational funding. Slowly, the mentality of the school systems changed - from that of creating an environment for young minds to grow, to that of taking measures to secure next year's dwindling resources.

But, in doing so, are we selling out mankind's greatest potential?

I always thought it very sad, and quite ironic, that the measures taken to prove a school's worthiness...were given place over the needs of humanity. That the children were being measure in terms of a scoring system, and not based on their interactions with other children.

We need to teach our children about the value of one human life; we need to show them what it means to see their essence in another's eyes.

We need them to understand the truest value of being human.

Some children are not meant to have a perfect score on their SATs - but that doesn't mean they are not intended for greatness.

Growing up, my teachers used to criticize me for 'day dreaming' in class, "Pay attention," they'd shout and casting a rather disapproving glance. But, I couldn't ever help myself, you see - because, in looking around to the other student faces, I couldn't help thinking, "I wonder who'll they'll grow up to be...?"

For inside each and every classroom throughout this planet...there's a bright young child whose destiny it to change human consciousness. And, tucked away inside those seemingly arbitrary scores - there's a Gandhi, a Rosa Parks...and a Nelson Mandela...with full hearts, waiting to be born.

And, don't our children deserve so much more?

Namaste, my most beautiful friends ~ I hope you'll enjoy this lecture presented by His Holiness and on the topic of ethics. I absolutely loved it, and it prompted me to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment