Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pressing Pause on Our Frenzied Pace.


“In our rushing, bulls in china shops, we break our own lives.” ― Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

I had a few extra moments upon waking this morning, a rare and most cherished delight in my day.

I like to think of time as a gift, you see. And these, unexpected instances where I may step reverently through my thoughts before the noise of the day settles in...are indeed a most wonderful blessing.

Generally speaking, my very best thoughts tend to find me in this space where my mind is still enough for my heart to finally hear.

It's here that I find clarity, hope, and purpose - and all the strength I need to carry on.

And yet, in looking out my back porch window - I can't help but note the frenzied pace, of parents shuffling children off to school bus stops and other places. In such a rush, they do not savor - these few short moments which really matter.

Why are we in such a rush these days? That even making memories has become so schedule driven?

And, just when did our morning cup get banished to a travel mug?

My dears, this life...it's not a race...slow your pace.

Because, these moments lost are gone forever...and there's just no getting back what we pushed off to never.

So, what is it that you're waiting for...to finally let go of those schedule driven reigns.


Life is not a Race.
Unknown

Have you ever watched kids
On a merry-go-round?
Or listened to the rain
Slapping on the ground?
Ever followed a butterfly’s erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

You better slow down.
Don’t dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won’t last.

Do you run through each day
On the fly?
When you ask How are you?
Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done
Do you lie in your bed
With the next hundred chores
Running through your head?

You better slow down
Don’t dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won’t last.

Ever told your child,
We’ll do it tomorrow?
And in your haste,
Not see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch,
Let a good friendship die
Cause you never had time
To call and say “hi”

You better slow down.
Don’t dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won’t last.


When you run so fast to get somewhere
You miss half the fun of getting there.
When you worry and hurry through your day,
It is like an unopened gift…
Thrown away.

Life is not a race.
Do take it slower
Hear the music
Before the song’s over.



No comments:

Post a Comment