Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Imagination is Where the Heart Really Lives.


“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” ― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
I remember the very first moment I believed I could fly.

It was a cold winter evening in 1978, and I was just about 7 years old. My mother had treated me to my very first movie - Superman, starring Christopher Reeve.

And, oh, what a most amazing adventure that was. I still remember balancing so precariously on the edge of that wobbly old movie seat, my small body was just enough weight to keep that chair tipped forward. And anyone who dared to sit in front of me, received a most stern warning glance from my Mother urging them to move on. This was our special day, and one in which a small dream was born.

The movies back then were far different than they are now. In those days we had real heroes, and the villains never won. The stories were much simpler - and there was no need for over the top special effects or gore.

In those days, that 30 foot screen towering directly in front - held a most special space for imagination to grow.

And, in leaving that theater on that cold winter night - I remember looking up to the stars believing I could fly.

And to this day, I still carry a piece of that "movie screen" imagination inside.

After all, imagination is the spot where the heart really lives.

And after all, my dears - you are only confined by the walls you build for yourself


No comments:

Post a Comment