Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Magic in a Snow Covered Day.

"She stuck her head out and took a deep breath. If she could eat the cold air, she would. She thought cold snaps were like cookies, like gingersnaps. In her mind they were made with white chocolate chunks and had a cool, brittle vanilla frosting. They melted like snow in her mouth, turning creamy and warm.”  ~ Sarah Addison Allen
Oh, it's a snow day here today - a day in which all offices are closed, and simply because a fine dusting of glorious white winter powder has fallen once again from the sky.

My own opinion is that those who govern the opening and closing of offices during these winter weather events are, actually, quite fond of building snow forts.

But, I digress... :)

When I was a little girl, we lived in an area referred to as, "The Snow Belt." From our house, we could see Lake Erie - who was a notoriously stormy vixen, who thought nothing of delivering a full two feet of snow in one single visit.

And, each year, my Mother would curse the foul, frigid sloppiness... 

Oh, but I...I could wait to find my way through those lofty drifts.

In those days, all we had to do was play - stopping only for a quick refuel, and just enough to get through the remainder of the day.

I do so love my winter days.

I love the sound of muffledness - the sound the earth makes when 'all tucked in.'

I love the sound of howling winds, and the creak-crack-shlooshing of ice-encrusted trees.

I love the way the flurries play, like little white house cats swirling around my legs.

And today, I watch in wonderment - as the this new snow gently forms against my window - 'politely begging entrance', and in the hopes that we might once again, play.

Oh, my dears..I do so love my winter days...and the long awaited arrival of Mother Nature's invitation to stay.

Video: Snow Circles (I might just try this today)


Snow Circles from Beauregard, Steamboat Aerials on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment