Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Vestibule for Our Fear.


“You must not hate those who do wrong or harmful things; but with compassion, you must do what you can to stop them — for they are harming themselves, as well as those who suffer from their actions.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

I had a most interesting conversation with my workmate this morning. He had read an article indicating that the United States was fast becoming the most hated nation in the world.

More specifically, that hating America was, in a sense, becoming its very own 'religion.'

I can't imagine a darkness to this level. And, I can't imagine a heart so devoid of compassion that it would strike the arrow of hatred towards someone who's spirit is not yet even known.

To hate, without ever knowing why - my dears, that is the most frightening prospect of all.

Have we so hopelessly lost our connection to our "one human family" - that we allow Fear to determine our way forward?

My dears, yesterday evening...just before dawn...I heard the sound of gunshots breaking through the stillness of a cold winter night.

It was inside that moment, that a young boy died - his life's sum relegated to a simple news headline. 

My dears, I believe hatred is trying to destroy our 'view' - born of our deepest fears, and engaging a most primal instinct to fight.

But, what is it that we're so very afraid of? Is it the pain of life itself? Or, the uncertainty of death? Are we so paralyzed by our fear of the unknown - that we've left only one tiny, dark space for our spirit to go?

“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them.” ~ Orson Scott Card

Or, can Fear become Compassion's vestibule?


My dears, what is it that you believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment