Sunday, December 1, 2013

And Now for Something Truly Wonderful.


“Happiness doesn't result from what we get, but from what we give.” ― Ben Carson
I was a little disheartened by the news headlines this weekend—frenzied shoppers toppling barricades, and all in the spirit of giving.

Why, just this morning I nearly lost a limb reaching over for that very last carton of milk - the other shopper, though slight in appearance, had claw-like daggers on her fingertips.

Sigh....just when did the act of giving become so darned competitive? Have we forever lost the true meaning of this holiday season?

I remember as a child waiting with great anticipation for Christmas - my Mother stealing away to the kitchen to begin her holiday baking ritual. She always stashed the very best cookies in a Charlie Chip can to the very back of the cupboard shelf. And, each year, my brother and I would stealthfully nibble our way through.

It wasn't until many years later, that I learned that these cookies to be the 'cast offs'...my Mother, it seems, was always one step ahead of my brother and I. 

And as for those Christmas tunes blaring steadily over the airwaves? In those days, the crackling and hissing of a roaring fire was all the 'music' we ever needed.

All year long, I would scrimp together whatever small change I could find ~ and, all in the hopes of bringing a smile. My Dad always made such a grande gesture, and no matter what the gift - "Oh, look at this," he would shout, "this is exactly what I needed."

You see, in those days...the holidays were more about the giving.

"O Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace;
 Where there is hatred, let me sow love;  
Where there is injury, pardon;  
Where there is error, truth;

Where there is doubt, faith;  
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;  
And where there is sadness, joy.    
For it is in giving that we receive;"

I suppose, it may seem rather odd for a hippie Buddhist like myself to be quoting scriptures - but, for some reason.. this one very much 'speaks' to me.

Perhaps, there's a reason to these few words finding me here? In hopes, that the 'gift' inside the giving may, once again, be found.

Because, my dears, it is through giving that we receive.

In closing, I hope you won't mind that I share with you this most beautiful story - of a young man, who in remembering his holiday's past, decided it was far time to do something about it.

This is the story of Dickon Johnstone, who sat outside a busy coffee shop, holding the following sign;


You see, he was also frustrated with the frenzy - and hoping so very much to make a difference.

At first, he was mistaken as a beggar - but, just watch as these faces begin to realize his kindness.

Much love, and many blessings ~ and may we all push aside this frenzy for awhile.





No comments:

Post a Comment