Sunday, December 22, 2013

Learning to Welcome the Rain.

[...] just remember, the storm doesn’t last forever. It can scare you; it can shake you to your core. But it never lasts. The rain subsides, the thunder dies, and the winds calm to a soft whisper. And that moment after the storm clouds pass, when all is silent and still, you find peace. Quiet, gentle peace.S.L. Jennings
There’s a storm passing through today – breaking the silence of early morning with drifting crescendos of pattering rain.

And, marked by the urgent howling wind through the trees, begging all to ‘take refuge’ before too long.

When I was a little girl, I was so very terrified of these rumbly sort of storms—that the first splintering clap of thunder would send me straight away, sailing to my ‘safe spot’ under the bed.

The monsters, of course – being a much craftier sort – having vacated many hours before.

Oh, and, I would lay there for hours – or what seemed like days….my only defense, a rather well worn red cotton blanket.

In those days, standing up to even the most frightening of storms – was a much easier proposition. Growing up can certainly make things a bit more…complicated.

But, through the years these rains have softened – the crashing bursts of thunder, now signalling the advent of change.

Isn’t it odd how something which was once so very terrifying can become something we learn to embrace? As we realize, there is peace even in the storm.

And, nowadays, my darlings…I have learned to dance in my rain.

Oh, yes….and did you know those monsters were just as equally frightened?

It seems, the solace of their slumber was quite often broken by the haunting screech of one, very loud, little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment