Monday, August 20, 2012

My Most Favorite Frost

I remember first reading this passage when I was still so very young, and curled up against the crackling fire my Father had built ~ just as he had done so many times before on these our most coldest winter eves.

I have always loved Robert Frost ~ and his almost magical way of spinning the most amazing images out of just a very few words. But mostly, I loved him because - in his, those very few words, I always felt 'at home'.

The following passage is from the poem, "the star splitter"...and for many years, no matter where I was on this great big earth - these few words always caused me to look high up to the sky to see if Orion was indeed there looking down on me...and with each glance, no matter how many miles were there between ...in that instant, I could close my eyes and feel so very close to home. So tonight, I'll share this with the world in hopes that there might be a little girl curled up so close to 'fire' while her Father sits back in his favorite chair, taking in the site of a home all at rest.

The Star-splitter
BY ROBERT FROST

"You know Orion always comes up sideways.
Throwing a leg up over our fence of mountains,
And rising on his hands, he looks in on me
Busy outdoors by lantern-light with something
I should have done by daylight, and indeed,
After the ground is frozen, I should have done
Before it froze, and a gust flings a handful
Of waste leaves at my smoky lantern chimney
To make fun of my way of doing things,
Or else fun of Orion's having caught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment